Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dance Themed 13th Birthday Cake

A couple of months ago I was asked to create a cake for a dancer who was turning 13.  I was told that Sarah was a competitive dancer and that they would be at one of her competitions on her 13th birthday so they wanted the cake to reflect the songs she would be competing to.  Sarah would be dancing to “The Girl in 14G” (musical theatre), “Yankee Doodle” (tap), “Need Somebody to Love” (hip hop), and “School Daze” (jazz).  This presented a design challenge...how was I going to get all of these different types of dances and songs incorporated into one small cake.  This is what I came up with and I think it was perfect.  Each of the names of the songs were written on the side of the cake.  HAPPY 13th BIRTHDAY SARAH!
  

6 comments:

  1. How many layers is that cake and what size round is it?! it looks amazing! i am a dance teacher and its such a cute idea! bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your comment:)
    It is 3 layers and it's an 8" round cake. Stands about 4" high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it a lot. What kind of stencil did you use for the lettering, if you used one at all... your letters are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:) I used the FMM Funky letter cutters.

      Delete
  4. Ok I have a few questions, if you don't mind, because I like the whole cake and I'm trying to do something similar:

    Did you cover the cake board with something? Also, is that just fondant for the curtains and such or is it a gum paste/fondant blend? With the numbers... how long did it take those to dry so they would stay upright? And, did you attach the decorations with buttercream or with gum glue adhesive? Is that a plastic base that the numbers are sitting on?

    Thank you so much for your help. I am a beginning decorator and I'm really trying to learn new things and all of your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel free to email me at enticingsweets@hotmail.com and I will answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete